All Orientation and fall term events for graduate students in the Arts & Sciences are sponsored by the Graduate Student Council and the Graduate Studies Office. For more information about the Graduate Student Council, visit the GSC website.
Be sure to monitor the Grad Student Activities Bulletin on BlitzMail. All updated trip, event, and activity information will be listed there, including changes in date or location (due to inclement weather). Partners and families are welcome at social events sponsored by the GSC. If there are activities you would like to see happen in the future, contact your department's GSC rep, the GSC President, or attend a GSC meeting. We would love to see you there!
2011 Orientation Schedule
Saturday, September 10
- Hanover Community Yard Sale 11:00a.m.-3:00p.m. will be held rain or shine in the Dewey Field Parking Lot. Neighbors helping Neighbors through reuse and recycling. For more information email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday, September 16
- Lab Safety 8:30a.m.-4:00p.m. for first year students in MCB, Biology/Ecology, Program of Experimental and Molecular Medicine, and Psychological and Brian Sciences. Location: Kemeny Hall/Bradley Lecture Hall, Room 008, Mandatory Session.
- Lab Safety 1:30p.m.-4:00p.m. for Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics. Location: Kemeny Hall, Bloom/Chao Classroom, Room 007, Mandatory Session.
Saturday, September 17
- North Park Housing* 7:30p.m.-8:00p.m. North Park Orientation. Location: North Park Laundry Room. *For all students living in the North Park housing block.
- North Park Wine and Cheese Mixer 8:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m., outside 14 North Park Street, all graduate students and their guests are invited to come mix and mingle with their fellow graduates.
Monday, September 19
- International Graduate Student Orientation 10:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Location: Spanos Auditorium, 100 Cummings. Mandatory Session.
- Foundations of a Successful Graduate Life at Dartmouth 3:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. Location: Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall. Mandatory Session.
- Graduate Studies Office BBQ 5:00 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Food/Beverages provided by the Graduate Studies Office. Partners and children welcome. Location: Kemeny/Haldeman Green Space.
- Ethics Panel 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., Aine Donovan, Executive Director of Dartmouth's Ethics Institute, will facilitate an interactive discussion incorporating scenes from Robert Martin's play "Stampede of Zebras." The play focuses on a devastating case of scientific misconduct and its aftermath. Please make sure that you have read the play before the panel. If you have not received a copy of the play, please check with your department's administrative assistant or click here for the play as a PDF. Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall. . Location: Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall. Mandatory Session.
Tuesday, September 20
- First Year Health Service Orientation 9:00a.m-11:00a.m., Dick's House, 7 Rope Ferry Road. -Immunizations and Pre-matriculation Medical Information Check. Health Services will hold a pre-matriculation immunization clinic for First Year Graduate Students. This is the time to meet with a member of the Medical Records staff to resolve any outstanding issues regarding medical information and immunizations. Required immunizations will be available.
- Convocation exercises 11:00a.m. Convocation exercises marking the 242nd year of the college will be held in Leede Arena, John W. Berry Sports Center. Speakers will include President Jim Yong Kim; Kul Gautam' 72, former Assistant Secretary General of the United Nations and Deputy Executive Director of UNICEF; and Student Body President MA D.Yoeli'12.
- Dartmouth Community Lunch Gathering 12:00p.m.-2:00p.m. on Tuck Mall
- First Year Graduate Student Orientation 2:30p.m-4:30p.m. will be held in Cook Auditorium (between Tuck and Thayer). Mandatory Session.
- First-Year Italian Dinner 5:00p.m-7:00p.m. Italian food and beverage provided by the Graduate Student Council (GSC). Drop by to meet first-year students, learn about the graduate student community, and play trivia for prizes. Free GSC mug or Graduate Studies MP3/cellphone holders for all participants! Location: Common Room in Rockefeller Center.
Wednesday, September 21
- Dartmouth classes begin Enjoy your first day!
- TA panel, 4:00p.m.-5:00p.m., Location: Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL).Come talk with a panel of experienced TAs and learn what they wish they had known before they started.
- Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL) Reception for graduate students and postdocs.5:00p.m.-6:30p.m. Join us to learn about DCAL teaching workshops and services and outreach opportunities!
Friday, September 23
President Kim's Welcome Reception for First-Year Arts and Sciences Graduate Students.4:00p.m.-5:00p.m. The Graduate Studies Office would like to invite first year Arts and Sciences graduate students to meet the President of Dartmouth College, Jim Yong Kim. In addition, members of the Graduate Student Council (GSC), Graduate Faculty Representatives, and the Graduate Office would like to welcome new graduate students to the Graduate Community. Location: Kemeny Room 004.
Graduate Student Council Events
Monday, September 12
Monday Night Tea 7:00p.m-9:00p.m. Friendly gathering for graduate students to chase away Monday blues, featuring desserts from two countries selected from the over 40 countries our international graduate students represent. Open mic-show us your talent! There is a piano available, or bring your favorite instrument. Family and friends welcome! Complimentary tea and coffee provided, selection of more than 20. Location: 1 Wheelock (basement of Collis Student Center)
Sunday, September 18
Hike Cardigan Mountain. Join the Grad Outing Club for classic hikes in the region and enjoy the beginning of fall foliage season. All skill levels are welcome, food, transportation, and good company will be provided. Possible hikes include local stretches of the Appalachian Trial and moderate close by peaks such as Moose Mountain or Mount Cube. Space is limited so sign up asap by emailing: email@example.com.
Tuesday, September 20
First-Year Italian Dinner 5:00p.m-7:00p.m. Italian food and beverage provided by the Graduate Student Council (GSC). Drop by to meet first-year students, learn about the graduate student community, and play trivia for prizes. Free GSC mug or Graduate Studies MP3/cellphone holders for all participants! Location: Common Room in Rockefeller Center.
Saturday, September 24
'Wellies' Semi-Formal 8:00p.m.-11:00p.m. Welcome the new academic year in style with your fellow graduate students and medical students at the first semi-formal of 2011/2012! Dress to impress, be ready to tackle the rain! Location: DMS Reunion Tent outside Goldstein (Maynard St., across from Moore Hall)
Thursday, September 29
GWISE Welcome Tea 4:30p.m.-5:30p.m. The Dartmouth Women in Science and Engineering group (GWISE) welcomes new graduate women to the Dartmouth community. Come enjoy cookies and tea while mingling with current students and faculty.