Within the MCB Program there are four degree-granting departments:
- Biochemistry/Cell Biology
- Biological Sciences
- Microbiology & Immunology
- Molecular and Systems Biology
Students in these four departments are bound by the MCB Program Rules and Regulations.
- Three research rotations in the first year
- Three-term core courses (Fall, Winter, Spring of the first year)
- One term of a teaching assistantship
- An ethics course
- A qualifying exam consisting of a written proposal and oral defense
- Three advanced courses from the approved course list
- Attendance at and participation in journal club meetings and Research in Progress (RIP) seminars
- Attendance at program functions
- Preparation, presentation, and submission of thesis (seminar and defense)
Upon satisfactory completion of the qualifying exam, a student will be advanced to Ph.D. candidacy. Students may be advanced to the Ph.D. candidacy before completion of the three advanced courses.