2017 Orientation Schedule
2017 Orientation Dates: Wednesday, September 6 to Friday, September 8
ESL Classes: Thursday, August 24 to Tuesday, August 29
- Speaking, writing & beyond - English boot camp by the School of Graduate and Advanced Studies and the Rassias CenterSummary: English language course focusing on pronunciation and Grammar skills. Participants get selected by their departments (in which case participation is mandatory).Date: August 24 - 29Time: 8-5pm dailyLocation - Dartmouth Hall (lunch in '53 Commons)
Saturday, September 2
- Town of Hanover/Dartmouth College 7th Annual Community Yard Sale: 10am-2pm Rain or Shine.
Location: Dewey Field Parking Lot, Dewey Field Road, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
This is a good opportunity to pick up some bargain furniture and other household items from a huge selection of vendors at great prices!
Wednesday, September 6
- Lab Safety: 8:30am-4pm
Location: Dartmouth Hall, Room 105
For first year students in MCB, Biology/Ecology, Program in Experimental and Molecular Medicine, Psychology and Brain Sciences, and students in the QBS program. Mandatory session.
- Lab Safety: 1:30pm-4pm
Location: Kemeny, Room 007
For Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics. Mandatory session.
- Baker Library Bell Tower Tour/Free Morano Gelato: 6:00pm
Location: Lobby of Baker Library
Pre-registration required for the tour: https://form.jotform.us/72317094284155
Thursday, September 7
- International Students Orientation: 10:15am to 12:30pm
Location: Thayer School-Spanos Auditorium.
- Building a Respectful Community: 3:30pm-5pm
Location: Arvo Oopik Auditorium, Life Sciences Center
- Graduate School BBQ: 5pm-6pm
Location: Life Sciences Center Lawn
- Ethics Panel: 6pm-8pm
Location: Arvo Oopik Auditorium, Life Sciences Center.
All incoming students are required to attend this interactive panel on professional ethics. The purpose of the panel is to engage you in a discussion about some of the complex ethical issues that face professionals conducting research today, whether your area of study is in the sciences, the social sciences, or the humanities. Over the summer, we are asking you to spend 55 minutes watching a Nova special, the “Secret of Photo 51,” that touches on these issues.
Friday, September 8
- Health Services Orientation: 9am-12pm
Location: Dick’s House, 7 Rope Ferry Road
Immunizations and Pre-matriculation Medical Information Check.
- First Year Graduate Student Orientation: 12:30pm-2:30pm
Location: Arvo Oopik Auditorium Life Sciences Center.
- Welcome Party for Chinese Students and Scholars: 7pm-10pm
Location: Dartmouth Outing Club House, Occom Pond.
All incoming students, post-docs, and visiting scholars are welcome to join the party, meet with current students, and make new friends.
Saturday, September 9
- Wine & Cheese Mixer: 7-10:00pm
Location: DOC House. Come and relax with your fellow grads!
Monday, September 11
Graduate TA Panel: 4-5:00 pm
Will you be TAing for the first time this year? Join us to ask questions of a panel of experienced TAs who will talk about their experiences and what they wish they had known before they started. Also watch for the sign up for TA Orientation in December!
Wednesday, September 13
GSC Wine and Cheese Mixer: 5-7:00 pm
Location: Social Lounge, 4 Currier Place, next to the DEN
Come along to the new social space at 4 Currier for the inaugural party and to meet colleagues from across the programs, both new and old. Free beer, wine, cider and food.
Thursday, September 14
Graduate Women in Science (GWISE) Welcome Event: 7-9:00 pm
Location: Morano Gelato
The Graduate Women in Science group will treat the first 25 attendees to a small gelato!
Friday, September 15
IGMP Welcome Social: 6-9:00 pm
Location: Collis, One Wheelock.
Join us in welcoming the incoming international graduate students! We will provide Chinese and Indian food and beers. Student speakers will share their experiences of first arriving at Dartmouth and provide advice to incoming students. We encourage both international and non-international students to attend.
- Glow-in-the-Dark Ultimate Frisbee: 7:45-10:00pm
Location: Sachem Fields
Saturday, September 16
- Graduate Student Town Hall: 12:30-3:30pm
Location: Collis Center for Student Involvement
Come meet the graduate council and the various graduate clubs! Light lunch will be provided.
** Please bookmark this page as we will be adding more events, classes, and sessions to the schedule.