2018 Orientation Schedule
2018 Orientation Dates: Wednesday, September 5 to Friday, September 7
ESL Classes: Thursday, August 23 to Tuesday, August 28
- Speaking, writing & beyond - English boot camp by the School of Graduate and Advanced Studies and the Rassias CenterSummary: English language course focusing on pronunciation and Grammar skills. Participants get selected by their departments (in which case participation is mandatory).Date: August 23 - 28Time: 8-5pm dailyLocation - Dartmouth Hall (lunch in '53 Commons
Saturday, September 1
- The Town of Hanover/Dartmouth College 9th Annual Community Yard Sale
Application to be a seller opens on August 1, through the Town of Hanover website. Find everything you need to furnish your apartment/house/room, and much more at the most affordable prices in town.
Date: Saturday, September 1
Time: 10 - 2 pm
Location: Dewey Field Parking lot in Hanover
Tuesday, September 4
- Outreach Mix and Mingle 5:30pm-7pm
Location: GRAD Lounge, 4 Currier Place
Are you interested in outreach activities, but not sure where to start? Have you wanted to mentor, teach, model, create, and inspire a new generation of STEM enthusiasts? Come to our outreach mixer to meet current students participating in a variety of outreach programming, and meet some of our current partners. Registration required.
Wednesday, September 5
- Lab Safety: 8:30am-1pm
For ALL first year students in ALL programs. Mandatory session. Location: Carpenter Hall 013 Herb West Lecture Hall
Thursday, September 6
- International Students Orientation: 10:15am to 12:30pm
Location: Thayer School-Spanos Auditorium.
- Building a Respectful Community: 3:30pm-5pm
- Graduate School BBQ: 5pm-6pm
Location: Life Sciences Center Lawn
- Ethics Panel: 6pm-8pm
Location: Arvo Oopik Auditorium, Life Sciences Center.
All incoming students are required to attend this interactive panel on professional ethics. The purpose of the panel is to engage you in a discussion about some of the complex ethical issues that face professionals conducting research today, whether your area of study is in the sciences, the social sciences, or the humanities. Over the summer, we are asking you to spend 55 minutes watching a Nova special, the “Secret of Photo 51,” that touches on these issues.
Friday, September 7
- Health Services Orientation: 9am-12pm
Location: Dick’s House, 7 Rope Ferry Road
Immunizations and Pre-matriculation Medical Information Check.
- First Year Graduate Student Orientation: 12:30pm-2:30pm
Location: Arvo Oopik Auditorium Life Sciences Center.
Monday, September 10
- TA Panel: 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Location: DCAL, 102 Baker Library
Will you be TAing for the first time this year? Join us to ask questions of a panel of experienced TAs who will talk about their experiences and what they wish they had known before they started. Also watch for the sign up for TA Orientation in December!
Wednesday, September 12
- Community Lunch: 11:30pm - 2:30pm
Location: Tuck Mall
To celebrate the first day of classes President Phil Hanlon and Gail Gentes host a cookout for the Dartmouth community on Wednesday, September 12, from 11:30 am - 2:30 pm. on Tuck Mall. Hamburgers, hotdogs, garden burgers, and more will be served. Music by Reckless Breakfast.