You want to create an image of yourself as an active, vital participant in the workplace. You are convincing the employer not only of your potential contributions to the job, but also your ability to adapt to a different environment.
Use action verbs to begin your descriptions, such as:
- Developed sales and marketing strategies.
- Collected, measured, and evaluated chemical properties of soils.
- Coordinated committee meetings.
Eliminate non-essential phrases.
- Phrases like "responsibilities included" are passive. Use active phrases.
- Example: Designed, prepared, and taught laboratory exercises to 30 students
Use quantitative and qualitative information.
- Increased sales by 10%.
- Wrote 3 research papers, presented 5 papers at national meetings, and led 10 seminars.
Describe achievements, skills gained, and responsibilities.
- Example: Received award for excellence for design and implementation of an innovative computer program.
- Developed financial management skills through processing of daily transactions.
- Managed budget of $3,000.